Pages

5/23/2010

A Walk on the Wild Side...

Saturday we traveled up to Natural Bridge, Virginia to the Virginia Safari Park! What an AMAZING way to spend a day! We went with our friends Misy and Rob and their baby Maelen... and let me just say that it was TOTALLY worth the money and the 3 1/2 hour drive!The park is set up in two sections...

1. There's a section that you walk through with different kinds of animal enclosures.

Giraffes... I can't tell you how AWESOME it was to get this close to a giraffe!

The giraffes came to visit us... but they were a little too timid to eat from our hands that day. You can see my hand full of food sticking out in this picture and the giraffe just looking at me like I'm crazy for wanting her to eat it.

Our family hagning out at the giraffe enclosure... Bailey wearing the giraffe hat that Misty and Maelen gave her!

Misty and Maelen... also hanging out waiting for the giraffes!

Tigers

Kangaroos... one of them even had a baby in its pouch, but we didn't get a picture of that.

2. The other section of the 180 acre park was a drive through safari where you can feed the animals from your car. The animals are so used to being fed like this that they LITERLLY wait for the cars to come through the entrance gate!
Bailey had a great time sitting up front with her daddy watching all of the animals through the car window!

Ostrich
Elk... just before it stole a bucket of food from my hand.
Sharing its prize with its buddies!

Zebras... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE zebras, so this was like a dream come true! I STILL can't believe that I got to pet them!!!


Camel...

...stealing a bucket of food from Misty! It stuck its entire head into the van window... and let me tell you his head was HUGE!
Llama

Axis deer

And we saw so many more that we didn't get pictures of... it was such a fun trip through the park! You can see how very excited Bailey was by the end of the hour long safari drive!

1 comment:

kim said...

Fun!! I want to do that too! I know some other people who have gone there. Maybe we could start one of those down here and make a killing!