Pages

2/12/2012

Valentine’s Day Lovin’ From the Oven!

I decided to do a little Valentine’s Day baking for Bailey and her pre-school class.  After scouring Google and Pinterest for various treats I decided to try to make these (originally from here):

windowpane cookies

I didn’t follow the recipe exactly, but the basic concept is the same.  First things first, I gathered all of the necessary supplies:

  • Wax paper
  • Aluminum foil
  • Baking sheet
  • Rolling Pin
  • Heart-shaped cookie cutters in various sizes (I bought the entire pack of 6 cookie cutters at Wal-Mart for under $2)
  • Pillsbury sugar cookie dough (I decided to cheat a bit and buy the pre-made dough)
  • Hard candies (I had Life Savers lying around, so I decided to work with what I had)

DSCN2075

Then I placed the cookie dough between two sheets of wax paper and used a rolling pin to spread the dough to approximately 1/4 inch thick.

DSCN2081

Of course, as with any baking job, this step is so much easier if you enlist the aid of an eager, apron-wearing helper.  Thankfully Bailey was more than happy to lend a freshly-washed hand!

DSCN2085

DSCN2086

Once the dough was rolled out we removed the top layer of waxed paper and began cutting out our hearts.

DSCN2088

DSCN2090

After cutting out the large hearts I used a spatula to place the cookie dough on a foil-lined baking sheet.  Then I used a smaller cookie cutter to cut out the center heart.  I removed the dough at the center and set it aside to be rolled-out and reused.

DSCN2100

DSCN2102

The next step involved breaking the Life Saver candies into small pieces and then pouring them into the center of each heart cookie.  I used about 1 1/2 Life Savers per cookie.

DSCN2104

After this was done I baked the cookies as the directions on the tube of dough instructed… 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes (or until the edges of the cookies are slightly golden-brown and the candies are melted).  Once the cookies were done I removed the baking sheet and let it cool for about 5 minutes before removing the cookies and placing them on wire racks. 

DSCN2110

And in the end we were left with a lovely plate of heart-shaped windowpane cookies!  Talk about yummy!

DSCN2116

What a sweet Valentine’s Day treat for the kiddos (and the adults) in Bailey’s classroom!

No comments: