Pages

2/14/2012

Valentine’s Day Crayon Hearts

No doubt you’ve seen crayon hearts flying all over the internet in recent weeks (here, here, here, or here just to name a few of the sites).  But nevertheless, I thought they would be a fun alternative to the typical candy given out at Valentine’s Day… especially considering Bailey’s classmates Valentines are all still under 2 1/2 years old.

This was a super cheap and easy project.  The total cost was about $1.  I found a pair of silicone heart-shaped ice trays in the $1 section at Target.  Since they were designed to be ice trays I wasn’t sure if they would work, but I figured for only $1 it was worth a shot.  Then I dug through the crayon box at home and at work and gathered a small bag of old, broken crayons.  And that was it.  No other real supplies needed other than a baking sheet and a small piece of aluminum foil. 

DSCN2061

Next I removed the paper from the outside of the crayons and snapped them into small pieces.  I piled a mixture of colors into each heart and then placed the silicone ice tray on a baking sheet.  As an afterthought I added a small piece of aluminum foil under the silicone tray, just in case it wouldn’t hold up to the temperature of the oven. 

DSCN2063

I stuck the crayons into the oven at 250 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.  I just kept a close watch on them and took them out once it appeared that all of the crayon pieces had melted.

DSCN2067

I set the tray aside for about 10 minutes until the wax was able to “set up” just a bit.  At that point I stuck the entire tray into the freezer to speed up the cooling process.  Once the tray was completely cool I popped the new heart-shaped crayons out and voila!

DSCN2069 

I enlisted the help of Bailey to bag up all of the crayons in treat bags I bought on clearance after Valentine’s Day last year.  She had fun counting the crayons and the bags as we did this!

DSCN2117

DSCN2118

Next I opened Microsoft Publisher and whipped up an adorable Valentine’s Day card to attach to each bag of crayons.  The card read “Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue, Crayons Make Me Happy, And So Do You!” on one side and had a cute little elephant coloring page on the other.

valentines day elephants 1

I printed the cards out on cardstock and cut them to size.  I punched a hole in one corner and used ribbon to tie one to each bag of crayons.  Wouldn’t you know it… I forgot to snap a picture of the end product. 

Bailey took them into school today for her class’ Valentine swap and I’m pretty sure the kiddos loved them!

No comments: