Pages

8/29/2011

DIY Outdoor Chalkboard

Bailey loves to color with chalk.  The only drawback is that she tends to make a huge mess in the process.  As a result we restrict her chalk-time to the outdoors (hence the repurposed children’s chalkboard easel for her room).  So when I found this gigantic, heavy-duty plastic frame at the Salvation Army for $12.00, the first thing that came to my mind was an outdoor chalkboard for Bailey (since the frame was plastic and would weather well if left in the elements).
DSCN0439
As usual, I loved the detail of the frame, but hated the color.  So I fell back on my old, reliable plan of 2 even coats of spray paint (this time in Sun Yellow) and 2 even coats of spray sealer.
DSCN0448
For the backing of the chalkboard I used a piece of wall paneling that I salvaged during the demolition phase of our kitchen renovation project.  I cut it to size, painted it with 3 layers of chalkboard paint, and then attached it to the frame with wood screws.
DSCN0588
DSCN0590
I decided that the outdoor chalkboard project wouldn’t be complete without a container to hold all of Bailey’s chalk (instead of just using the cardboard box it came in).  So I decided to repurpose a clay flower pot.
DSCN0571
I painted one side of the pot with black paint.  Then I attached the word “chalk” to the painted area in foam letters (purchased in the $1.00 section at Target).
DSCN0579
I sprayed the entire pot (inside and out) with spray paint and sealer.  And then I pealed the foam letters off to reveal the word “chalk” in black.
DSCN0580
DSCN0592
The end result?  A beautiful, fun, and energetic spot on the patio for Bailey to play!  And if you’re wondering how Bailey liked it…
DSCN0644
DSCN0647
DSCN0648
…she loved it!  And she very quickly got to work creating a masterpiece of her own!
DSCN0654
DSCN0653

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Great project!