Pages

8/18/2007

Update...

Well, I continued giving Mr. Ribbits his "emergency aid solution" baths each night... although he seemed to be slightly improved he was still not quite himself. I decided to take him to a veterinarian to get a little advice. I discovered that there were not any certified reptile/amphibian vets in the area (another great part of living in rural East Tennessee), so I decided to take him to a vet that wasn't certified, but did have a history of working with exotic pets. So I packed him up in his little travel case and took him across town early yesterday morning.

The vet said he wasn't sure what was wrong with him, but it was most likely a bacterial infection. He recommended an antibacterial injection followed by an antibiotic bath (since frogs absorb things through their skin) for at home. The vet said that it wouldn't hurt him to try it. So, he proceeded to give Mr. Ribbits the injection and told me to bring him back on Monday to assess his progress. I knew as soon as the vet gave him the shot that I had made a HUGE MISTAKE in bringing him in. You could tell that his little body had gone into shock... he wasn't moving and was laying there with his little arms and legs spread out in front of him. I took him home and put him into the antibiotic bath as the vet had recommended. At that point he began convulsing and died within an hour. My guess is that the vet either did not calculate the proper dosage for an animal Mr. Ribbits' size OR that he stuck him in the wrong spot with the syringe. Needless to say I was not happy! I had just taken a morning off of work and paid $80 for the vet to kill my frog! I should have just kept doing the treatments I was giving him at home! I called the vet to notify him that I would no longer need the follow up appointment on Monday. He was of course very apologetic, but that doesn't change the fact that Mr. Ribbits is dead.

I know it sounds stupid and that it was just a frog, but I have wanted a pet frog since I was little. I researched treefrogs for two years before I finally got him. I had him for almost 9 months and he was an awesome pet! I made sure that he had the correct housing, bedding, food, water, etc. Plus the fact that the life expectancy for this species is over 20 years and Mr. Ribbits didn't even make it to his first birthday. :(

4 comments:

kim said...

aww im so sorry :(

Holly said...

Alanna, I'm so sorry!

That STUPID vet! You should most certainly NOT have to pay for that vet visit. They need to pay YOU!

Kristy said...

I'm so sorry, Alanna! I agree with Holly. They should reimburse you!

Rae said...

oh alanna, that is horrible! i am so sorry to hear this...mr. ribbits was AWESOME!